"We set out to design and build a house that was both highly energy efficient and healthy to live in."
- Walls: 2x6, 16" o.c.+ Larsen truss, R-62 total: 2x6 studs with 5.5" dense-packed cellulose, 1/2" plywood sheathing with joints taped, 12" I-joists at 16" o.c. dense-packed with cellulose, held in place by heavy breathable membrane, ¾" furring strips, 1x4 horizontal cedar siding.
- Roof: Flat roof: Interior air and vapor control membrane, 28" open-web trusses densepacked with R-98 cellulose, 1/2" plywood taped, 1/2" fiberglass gypsum, EPDM roofing.
- Attic: No attic, vaulted ceilings (hot roof).
- Foundation: Half unvented crawl space, half piers. 16" floor trusses dense-packed with R-57 cellulose, taped vapor membrane, 3" mineral wool, 1x4 battens, 5/16" cement board.
- Windows: Triple-pane, low-e, argon-filled, aluminum-clad wood-framed, fixed awnings, U=0.14-0.18, SHGC=0.36.
- Air Sealing: 0.75 ACH50, all seams and penetrations taped.
- Ventilation: ERV, MERV 8 filter, 86 SRE, bathroom timers.
- HVAC: Ductless mini-split heat pump, 10.4 HSPF, 17.6 SEER, 12.7 EER AC.
- Hot Water: Heat pump water heater, 43-gal, 3.03 EF, split system with heat pump in unconditioned crawl space and the water tank above in the conditioned mechanical room.
- Lighting: 100% LED, timers, 2 solar tubes.
- Appliances: ENERGY STAR refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer.
- Solar: N/A; solar ready with conduit from roof to electric panel. Passive solar design.
- Water Conservation: Low-flow fixtures, PEX piping, compact plumbing design.
- Energy Management System: N/A
- Other: Low-emission paints, cabinets. IAQ monitor; accessible sinks.